Sunday 28 February 2016

February 28th - the last day.

So, the final day has arrived. I feel as though we've been here for much longer than two weeks, but I will be glad to get home. Too much of a good thing?

We didn't leave the hotel until 10am and then made our way to the public ferry. 


1LE each got us over the Nile and we made our way to the bus station so that we got the right bus up towards the ticket office. This was a mistake. One man decided to be too smart for his own good and said the fare was 10, not 1!!!!!  Naturally we walked off and made our way up the road to pick one up further along, by the shops. 
We stopped two buses and both drivers said the same thing, 10LE, whilst laughing. The jungle drums work well over on the West Bank too it seems! Fortunately, the third one accepted the correct fare and so off we went. 

We arrived at the closed site of the Colossi, as I had an arrangement to see the Director, Hourig Sourouzian. 




As we walked towards the entrance I suddenly saw a man walking towards me, arms outstretched in greeting. He was accompanied by the site inspector, who I also knew. I then recognised the man, he was the driver when I used to visit Luxor with an Egyptology group. We had a brief chat but I had to keep my appointment, which was now delayed, as the inspector was then nowhere to be seen. 

We waited for a few minutes and the inspector returned, accompanied by Dr Sourouzian. We greeted each other and had a discussion about the work ongoing at the site. They are making the ground works for future years when the public will have access to the site. 
So much great work is being done here that it's a pleasure to support such a worthwhile project. 


From here we walked back up to Caravanserai, the lovely shop with all the items priced and no hassle, only tea! I bought a beautiful, hand made! Beaded shawl and a glass bead lamp cover. There are good views of Medinat Habu along this road, ones I haven't seen before. 


And the Theban Hills. 


We saw this little donkey by the roadside, hobbled so that he couldn't run off. He did seem well cared for and on our way back someone had been and given him some greenery. 


I did my shopping and then we walked back down to the junction to get another bus back to the ferry. We took our last trip over the Nile and then made our way to the Aboudi Coffe Bar for a much needed drink. They do a delicious fresh lemon juice for 12LE. 

After this, my friends went into the book shop and I went off to the souk to finish my shopping. I've now decided that it's far better to shop at night when there are more people, as the vendors are far ruder to s single, lone female during the day. I just went in, got what I wanted and left, so they were the ones who lost out. 

The pool area beckoned, so I spent my last afternoon lying on a sunbed and listening to my audio book. I've been really pleased with my two visits to the Winter Palace Pavillon and I'll sum everything up tomorrow. 


I won't forget this massive balcony and lovely view!


We went out early for dinner, to the Jewel in the Nile again, as we so enjoyed it last night. We ate likely, conscious of the day of travelling that awaits us tomorrow.  Satisfied, we made our way back to the hotel for an early night. 

It's been a brilliant trip, yet again. But I'll leave Amelia Edwards to sum Egypt up in a way I'm sure you'll all recognise. 

Landing from her boat at Luxor, She wrote in 1877;

"And now there is a rush of donkeys and donkey-boys, beggars, guides, and antiquity- dealers, to the shore - the children screaming for baksheesh, the dealers exhibiting strings of imitation scarabs, the donkey boys vociferating the names and praises of their beasts, all alike regarding us as their lawful prey" 
This is as true today as it was then , so times really haven't changed'

No comments:

Post a Comment